Mobile Learning Game Kit

On: November 20, 2006
About Jan Simons
Associate Professor New Media at the Dept. of Media Studies, Universiteit van Amsterdam.

Together with the HvA Medialab and Waag Society, Mediastudies is developing a Mobile Learning Game Kit, an educational tool that works with mobile and wireless devices. The Game Kit, developed with funding from SURF, was presented at the SURF Onderwijsdagen 2006 through this little – and admittedly slightly boring – video. (The page requires Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher: apparently Firefox, Mozilla, and Safari haven’t made their way to Wageningen University where the film was produced)

6 Responses to “Mobile Learning Game Kit”
  • November 20, 2006 at 11:33 pm

The combination of video + powerpoint is ideal though, and it’s even worth starting up IE again for. What I was wondering in regard to this project, how is narrative (storyline) implemented (if it actually is) and thought of? Since that is going to be a part of my NMTheories paper. Currently I’m researching the combination database narrative in/and Locative Media.

If anyone has any tips, I’d love to hear ’em. I’m already analyzing some Blast Theory (.co.uk) projects on narrative.

• November 21, 2006 at 10:03 am

It was my bachelor thesis! For this project I have looked at the narrative:

(However, I don’t know if it would be helpful for your thesis. But you can have a look anyway!

• November 21, 2006 at 10:04 am

okay that didn’t work :P
    here’s the link, please copy and paste it!

• November 21, 2006 at 1:54 pm

Great!! That is definitely some work I can build on, I don’t want to put a focus on education, but more on maybe the possibilities of “spectacular” narratives. Locative fiction maybe?

And also: what are certain elements or characteristics you can use to add tension, etc? The way you experience something, in my opinion, still has a lot to do with how that is implemented. Just wondering what you think of that.

• November 25, 2006 at 10:05 am

To add tension, you can perhaps looks into:

Psychogeography

Psychogeography kijkt naar de specifieke effecten, die een geografische omgeving, bewust of onbewust ontstaan, heeft op de emoties en het gedrag van mensen. Deze studie is een belangrijke basis voor Locative Media en leert hoe je naar je omgeving kunt kijken en die kunt gebruiken. Psychogeography wordt ook in andere disciplines zoals architectuur en ‘urban planning’/planologie toegepast.

This quote has been taken from here:

• November 25, 2006 at 10:06 am

Sorry typo: look into! :)