A Report from Google Geo Day ’07

On: March 30, 2007
About Twan Eikelenboom
One of the first Masters of Media to crawl upon this blog (2006/2007)! Still following (and at times contributing) to this great project. Working at Dutch sectorinstitute for e-culture Virtueel Platform. Special interest in stories resulting from new media product use (think: sat nav gone wrong) and independent gaming. Also blogging at http://newmw.wordpress.com

Thursday was the day of the Google Geo Day 2007 in Amsterdam. I made a report on it and put it on my personal blog because the layout of the Masters of Media site didn’t want to cooperate! This might be something for you Anne, incompatibility issues within WordPress! Anyway, you can check out the report here: Google Geoday Benelux 2007 Report.

GEhauptbahn

6 Responses to “A Report from Google Geo Day ’07”
  • March 31, 2007 at 9:30 am

Thanks for the extensive report for us who weren’t there.

I am wondering what kind of problems you are experiencing with WordPress (not only because of my thesis, but curious in general too)?

• March 31, 2007 at 11:06 am

Well, we had the ‘copy/paste’ problems in the beginning which makes it almost impossible to import text simply from a typewriter.
    This time I typed the text into my wordpress.com (rich text editor) and usually that translates quite well to wordpress.org. But this time I just couldn’t get the pictures straight, etc. etc. That might have something to do with the fact that the WordPress rich text editor sometimes spits out this horrible looking code (lots of repeated tags etc.). When you try to fix that, it only gets worse. The only way to go around it is, is start cleaning up the code myself.

• March 31, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Oh, there is a new and secret solution! There are secretly hidden extra options available in the visual editor! I just found it out myself three days ago. Activating the extra options is done by pressing Alt-V in Internet Explorer or Alt-Shift-V in Firefox.

There are a few new useful icons:
    1. the icon with the W: paste from Word, it removes the Word formatting!
    2. the eraser icon: remove formatting
    3. the brush: clean up messy mode

How odd is that? See a post I dedicated about it at: WordPress Glitches: Visual/Code editor & Advanced Visual editor

• March 31, 2007 at 1:21 pm

Nice tips!! And it even works in wordpress.com! But why hide these features!?

• March 31, 2007 at 1:35 pm

That’s what I am still figuring out. Maybe conflicting stylesheets?

• March 31, 2007 at 8:08 pm

Could be, or perhaps something else? What I find strange (or perhaps it is necessary) is that when I want to export my wordpress.com content it uses some weird WordPress xml file that can only be read by WP.