LOL theorists

On: June 8, 2007
About Pepijn Uitterhoeve
I'm Pepijn, a veteran Utopia player (and gamer in general). I intend to write my master thesis on Utopia, and focus mainly on the cooperative aspects. Some more stuff about me may be found here: http://peppie.wordpress.com/about/

So I was browsing this fantastic cat picture site when I found delicious links to similar projects, such as this one on presidents and more importantly, this one on theorists.

foucault discursive regimes

It features Deleuze, Foucault, even Henry Jenkins. He caught wind of the site and commented on it in his blog:

And to my astonishment, yours truly has become a favorite target in this new academic pass-time. My students have long considered my face an icon upon which they can test their emerging mash-up and remixing skills so I am delighted to see these practices extended into the culture at large. Anything which will further the cause of participatory culture.

Click (more…) for some of my favourites

:D

Althusser

sweetass

Mcluhan

rrrr

Haraway

orly?

Newton vs Einstein

1 2

Walter Benjamin in a nutshell (even though ironically the first pic suffices on its own)

MOAR FOUCAULT

Emo foucault :D

haberrrr

Habermas

freud lacan

Lacan beats Freud!

dawkins

Richard Dawkins

certeau vs jenkins

Michel de Certeau, Henry Jenkins

Stuart Hall vs Gayatri

Stuart Hall, Gayatri Spivak  (im unsure about the Do Not Want?)

Laura Mulvey

Laura Mulvey

22 Responses to “LOL theorists”
  • June 8, 2007 at 2:15 pm

That is funny! :) Cool links Pep!

• June 8, 2007 at 6:11 pm

This is gooooddd stuffff!

• June 9, 2007 at 1:22 pm

edited in two more piccies

edited again for a total of four more pics :p

• June 9, 2007 at 1:25 pm

Heh, Dawkins looks like if he’s looking for God :)

• June 9, 2007 at 1:33 pm

arent we all?

the trouble is finding the bugger :P

Human faculties of belief are amazing. I don’t understand how people can get so worked up about not finding massive Iraqi lethal arsenals and reprimanding those poor neo-cons while at the same time billions of folks believe in God(s) who’ve not been found in the empirical sense either.

Compartmentalization for the win!

• June 9, 2007 at 2:49 pm

Well, perhaps Descartes was right? :) From Mediations III (http://www.wright.edu/cola/descartes/meditation3.html and the summary below from wikipedia)

Argument 1

1. I have an idea of God (an infinitely perfect substance).
    2. That idea must have a cause.
    3. Nothing comes from nothing.
    4. The cause must have at least as much formal reality as the idea.
    5. I am not infinitely perfect.
    6. I could not be the cause of the idea.
    7. There must be a cause that is infinitely perfect.
    8. God exists.

Argument 2

1. I exist.
    2. My existence must have a cause.
    3. The cause must be either:

a) myself
    b) my always having existed
    c) my parents
    d) something less perfect than God
    e) God

1. Not a. If I had created myself, I would have made myself perfect.
    2. Not b. Continued existence does not follow from present existence.
    3. Not c. This leads to an infinite regress.
    4. Not d. The idea of perfection that exists in me cannot have originated from a non-perfect being.
    5. e. God exists.

• June 9, 2007 at 3:32 pm

Those arguments could go for WMDs too perhaps by the way :D

• June 9, 2007 at 4:30 pm

Also from the wiki:

Objections to proof(s) of God’s existence:

A. We have no (clear) idea of an infinite Being (1st, 2nd, and 5th objections).

B. From the fact that I can think of a perfect being, it doesn’t follow that the perfect being exists (1st, 2nd, and 5th).

C. We could get the idea of God without God’s causing the idea (2nd, 3rd).

D. Nothing can cause itself to exist (4th), so God can’t cause himself to exist.

also, this is odd:

2. That idea must have a cause.
    3. Nothing comes from nothing.

The idea of warp drives or magic or whatever must have a cause, but its not like we actually have stuff to base this on..

• June 9, 2007 at 5:23 pm

Yea, I know em! Interesting points, and I really have to say that Descartes’ views fascinate me still.
    That idea must have a cause stems from the idea that when you go back to the first causal relation, there is something that must have fueled that. But at some point there must have been ‘nothing’. To me, that is just the limitation of the human mind to even grasp the concept of eternity.

By the way, your conclusion then is also applicable to the whole thing on WMDs! :)

• June 9, 2007 at 7:17 pm

no, belief in WMDs had a cause

US still had the receipts from the 80s, you see

• June 9, 2007 at 7:29 pm

rofl@pics :]

• June 9, 2007 at 9:41 pm

[…] for kenspeckling than lolcode, I give you the loltheorists community on livejournal [via masters of media], featuring lol-riffic literary theorists, psychologists, computer scientists, media theorists, and […]

• June 10, 2007 at 12:06 pm

Maybe there’s also a receipt of the universe!

• June 10, 2007 at 7:14 pm

Funny how every Internet meme is an opportunity to recycle every other Internet meme – see example
    where is my lol chuck norris, or is that pushing it?

• June 10, 2007 at 8:27 pm

the first pic of foucault is already a recycling of All Your Base

i dont know if chuck norris will get an entire LOL-thing dedicated to him, but ive already seen roundhouse kick cats and such. So in that respect youre not pushing it :p

• June 10, 2007 at 10:42 pm

of course, ‘all your base’!
    at some point these things are no longer memes and form a ‘non-phenomenal background to everyday existence’ – stole that phrase from a theorist :)

• June 11, 2007 at 7:21 am

Im in ur non phnomnal bakground

formin ur evryday eksistence lol

• June 11, 2007 at 7:38 am

Oh excellent :) We need to attach that to a pic of Brian Massumi.

• November 23, 2007 at 5:00 am

[…] the best of them here. Academic, lolcats, online communities, Personal, […]

• March 4, 2008 at 6:35 am

[…] little bit of humor is needed for this Friday. Remember those LOL Theorists? (here and here) I thought I would try my […]

• December 8, 2009 at 8:44 pm

[…] This post was Twitted by MeenaSaraLinde […]

• March 16, 2010 at 8:20 pm

This is tooo good xDDDDDDDDDDDDD