The Spinplant Continues: Legal Questions at Google?

On: October 18, 2007
About Twan Eikelenboom
One of the first Masters of Media to crawl upon this blog (2006/2007)! Still following (and at times contributing) to this great project. Working at Dutch sectorinstitute for e-culture Virtueel Platform. Special interest in stories resulting from new media product use (think: sat nav gone wrong) and independent gaming. Also blogging at http://newmw.wordpress.com

Although I’m not really sure what this is all about, on page 3 of the Google search query on the spinplant I got the following: In response to a legal request submitted to Google, we have removed 1 result(s) from this page. If you wish, you may read more about the request at ChillingEffects.org. On the Chilling Effect page it is argued as a ‘Dutch defamation complaint to Google’. See the screenshot below for what I got. So basically, in keeping the Spinplant alive, there is also a movement trying to keep it completely out of the Google search.

The link: Google Spinplant Search Result Page no. 3

spinplantlegal2

9 Responses to “The Spinplant Continues: Legal Questions at Google?”
  • October 18, 2007 at 5:25 pm

Oh, if we could just find out who filed the request. Just gimme an IP … ArnaudH, are you out there? ;)

If the cease-and-desist notice is about our Spinplant, I guess we could file a request to re-insert it; as Laura is the original author :) It is quite funny that Google does not insert the legal message on the first page but does so on all the other pages.

I’m putting spinplant in the Issue Dramaturg – should have done that earlier.

• October 18, 2007 at 5:37 pm

Interesting to see what’ll be the result on the Issue Dramaturg. You mean re-inserting as in the form from the ChillingEffects.org page?: ”In the case of an improper DMCA notification, you may wish to file a counter-notification.’

As an addition to this comment, the form also contains the following you have to agree to: ‘I live in the United States’

• October 18, 2007 at 5:43 pm

I mean re-inserting it in the Google results, i.e. filing a complaint on on the cease-and-desist. That would be the counter-notification you link to. If we would only know which page was taken out and what the reason for it is…

• October 18, 2007 at 5:57 pm

This Spinplant page used to be in Google’s results but is not anymore. Hmmm.. but that’s not defamation, so I’m not sure. Yahoo’s results are weird too, since they don’t include my post or the original one. You just can’t google bomb these days without everyone going crazy.. :(

• October 18, 2007 at 6:58 pm

Yeah, what happened to decent ol’ fashioned google bombing? By the way, how did you find out about the missing page? The reason given (defamation – i.e. false claim) would be strange if that page was deleted since the page it automatically links to after a few seconds is exactly the same.

• October 18, 2007 at 7:49 pm

oops, i gave a bad link, but fixed it now. i did nl.wikipedia.org/Spinplant instead of nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinplant

neither, anyhow, is in Google’s results now. When I wrote my Making the Spinplant Relevant post last week the empty wikipedia article was still in Google’s results (I should’ve done a screenshot)..

• October 18, 2007 at 8:01 pm

One can’t live without screenshots these days.

• October 22, 2007 at 10:46 am

Fortunately there is a screen shot because they removed the notice!

• January 6, 2010 at 3:47 am