Skype alternative: Fring

On: October 28, 2007
About Daphne Ben Shachar
Daphne is a Master student of New Media at the University of Amsterdam. She has a bachelor degree Communication & Multimedia Design, Interactive Media with an expertise in Content and Communication. And before that she also graduated at the Graphic School with an expertise in Traffic and Production Management within the graphical industry. In her spare time Daphne likes to go to the theater, mainly cabaret.

In addition to the article of Laura, I’d like to add another Skype alternative: Fring.
Fring is a free mobile VoIP application which allows you to talk and chat via an internet connection with pc-based services such as Skype, MSN, ICQ, Google Talk, SIP and Twitter.

My experience with Fring is based on a windows pc and a Nokia phone. The installation of the software is quick and easy. Don’t forget to have all of your usernames and passwords by hand. The interface is very user friendly and easy to use.
Fring screenshot
When you start the application it connects with the internet, trough wifi, 3G or GPRS. Then it combines all your contacts of all the applications mentioned above into one list. Now you are able to call or chat with your contacts without making extra costs on, for example, SMS.

Most of such applications work through networks, Fring doesn’t, it works via the servers of the other applications. When you select a person, it gives you a choice to call via gsm or via Fring. If you’re calling a contact which is on your SIM card, you will pay for that call in the same way as Skype Out calls. On YouTube you can find several videos on how to use Fring in different forms.
how fring works
I’ve been using Fring for a couple of weeks now and what I’ve noticed is that when I’m calling somebody who is also using Fring, the connection has got a delay in it. So when you talk to each other you’ll be forced to leave silences in between your sentences or dialogs in order not to talk at the same time the other person does. It has got the effect of a long distance call. When I’m calling with Skype for example, this delay doesn’t happen.

In the upcoming month I will be testing Fring and I’ll give you an update by the time I figured out all of the functions and options. Also I’m thinking of comparing it with Jaiku, anyone got some experience on that software?

11 Responses to “Skype alternative: Fring”
  • October 28, 2007 at 8:49 pm

I have been using Fring for a few weeks now but I am not a big fan yet. I use Skype mainly to chat and not to call and chatting in Fring is difficult. I chat in channels and Fring does not support Skype channels. This means that everything that is said in a channel goes to the individual person window. It makes it hard to get a sense of who is saying what to whom.

On top of that, every time a new event happens (someone says something) the tab automatically switches to that person. So if I am typing something to person A it switches to person B who is saying something.

I would love to be able to turn off that function!

• November 8, 2007 at 2:45 pm

HI Anne,

Thanks for your comments. We have taken note and wanted to inform you that the tab jump issue will soon be cleared so that when in a chat conversation with one person, the tab will not switch to a second person.

Best regards,
    Rachel

• November 9, 2007 at 2:12 pm

Thank you for informing us Rachel, that sounds great. Are you planning on integrating group chat channels as well? That would make Fring the perfect all-round application imho.

• March 31, 2009 at 4:34 pm

for me i like using Skype itself, i didn’t like Fring. but thank you for your great article.

• April 5, 2009 at 7:22 pm

There are some alternatives to fring:

palringo, talkonaut, im+, nimbuzz, truphone, beejive

• January 12, 2010 at 2:33 pm

“Skype alternative: Fring” in that you show really a good points with awesome way. really i benefited a lot thanks for that post.

• February 1, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I am impressed with the content of the article. I have been trying this method and I have seen some real improvements. This method is very useful.hey really awesome post thanks for that really you show awesome good keyword point about marketing . your discussion is also very interesting thanks for that .this is full of awesomeness.thanks for that post…

• February 2, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I use Skype daily because I live in Spain and work in Spain and I am from Holland. And Skype has many times a delay as well, with my mobile connection. And since you say that Fring has an even longer delay I am not going to try it. Hopefully Fring or Skype or an other method will improve soon so I am able to talk with for free with my mobile to Holland.

• April 11, 2011 at 10:53 am

I think Skype will be the standard in a couple of years…

• April 13, 2011 at 11:46 am

I think Social Media will take over phone companies…

• April 28, 2011 at 8:38 am

I personaly dislike Fring, but the intentions are really nice. A nice alternative is Fiber, but it still needs some updates. In a few years this is the standard…