Is your boyfriend cheating on you? There’s an app for that too

On: November 3, 2011
Print Friendly
About Wouter Timmermans
27 years old, passion for European art-house cinema, Starcraft II player, Chairman of Filmtheater de Uitkijk, Studying MA New Media @ UvA, love travelling in Asia, interested in open source data, concerned about the future of cinema in a new digital world, dislike populists in the Netherlands.

With new smart phones and GPS tracking, it’s possible to find and locate the position of other smart phones and the human body that goes with it. But is this legal? Does privacy still exist? Japanese women apparently don’t care about privacy; they just want to know why their boyfriend is late for dinner for the fourth time this month. Luckily there is an app for them now!

On 30th of august an android app called Kare Log (Boyfriend Log) was launched by a Japanese app developer named Manuscript. This app is allowing the owner of the software to track smartphone GPS data via their PC or smartphone. This app localizes the position of the smartphone, remaining battery life and call history. So if a boyfriend (or girlfriend) were cheating, the phone’s location would reveal his whereabouts, the battery life info would cancel the: “I’m sorry my phone was out of juice excuse” and the information in the call history would instantly reveal the person he or she is seeing.

Obviously the complaints were huge and not only boyfriends were upset but even the Japanese government started asking questions. The biggest party who opposed the app was antivirus software developer McAfee who said: “this app is a potentially unwanted program or PUP, because it acts like spyware and does not show itself clearly on the smartphone. Developer Manuscript updated Kare Log and now it was displayed on the smartphone running the app. In Japan it is legal to track the location of a smartphone as long as an individual sign up for this service. Eventually Manuscript pulled the app and published a public excuse on their website stating:

“We were still a largely unknown company, so I thought that we could grab attention by focusing on anti-cheating programs, but we went too far,” Manuscript’s President Yoshinori Miura said. “I didn’t think we get so much criticism.”

But what about the Find My Friends app released by Apple on the new iOS 5? Find My Friends was announced during the Apple keynote on October 4, 2011.  With Find My Friends, users can follow people and track where their iOS device is. Users can also share their location with the people they choose. Location is determined using GPS and notifications appear when a user requests another user to see where they are. This feature can be turned of or on at any time. Find My Friends synchronizes with other application such as Maps and Contacts.

A few days after the release of Find My Friends a user on MacRumors.com posted an entry on how he turned his wife’s iPhone into a what he calls: spyPhone.

“I got my wife a new 4s and loaded up find my friends without her knowing. She told me she was at her friend’s house in the east village. I’ve had suspicions about her meeting this guy who lives uptown. Lo and behold, Find my Friends has her right there. I just texted her asking where she was and the dumb ***** said she was on 10th Street!! Thank you Apple, thank you App Store, thank you all. These beautiful treasure trove of screen shots going to play well when I meet her at the lawyer’s office in a few weeks. Thankfully, she’s the rich one.”

The problem with these kinds of apps is that supposedly all your friends say yes to your request, because they are your friends and if they would say no they are probably hiding something. Here is an example of how you might use it:

Me:              “where is John? My party started 1 hour ago!”
Friend:        “He just called. He said he is on his way here.”
Me:              “Really? Because according to this app he is still behind his TV.”

It seems that we are approaching a moment with smart phones that we reached a few years back with computers in general. For years spyware was available to users who wanted to spy on loved ones and friends. Now it’s even closer and not only on our computer but also our smart phones. There are also positive sides to these applications like parental control and when your phone is stolen it’s a tool to get your phone back.

Do we gradually move towards a society of self-surveillance? With millions of people on Facebook feeding companies information about themselves the next step is your location. Facebook already owns the present, with Timeline they want to own the past. Maybe they can own the future as well. With your GPS information in their database it won’t be difficult to find a pattern and thus predicting your next move. Christian Fuchs talks about Surveillance 2.0 on Facebook in his article: New Media, Web 2.0 and surveillance:

“Web 2.0 surveillance is a form of surveillance that exerts power en domination by making use of specific qualities of the contemporary Internet, such as user-generated content and permanent dynamic communication flows. It can be characterized as a system of panoptic sorting, mass self-surveillance and personal mass dataveillance. Facebook is a prototype example of web 2.0 surveillance that serves economic ends.”

It is amazing that location based apps like Kare log and Find My Friends have such an impact on our lives. A video currently making the rounds about a baby so used to playing with iPads, thinks a magazine is “broken”.

This opens up a discussion of how technology transforms us and how this changes our own biological OS. So what about the apps mentioned above? Will these surveillance apps transform how we operate as well? The baby in the video expects a magazine page to be interactive; will we start expecting our friends to be constantly available to us? We almost expect everyone to have a social media account, are we going to expect everyone to volunteer their location at all time to us too? If a friend chooses NOT to be tracked, will we assume they are up to no good? I’m afraid we are more and more turning into a distrusting surveillance society and that can’t be good thing.

77 Responses to “Is your boyfriend cheating on you? There’s an app for that too”
  • December 18, 2016 at 11:29 pm

We are best when it comes to hacking.. Our services include: 1. School Grades Change 2. Drivers License 3. Hack email 4.
    Database hack 5. Facebook, Whatsapp 6. Hack Call Logs, 7. Retrieve messages, deleted data and recovery of messages
    on cell phone 8. Crediting , Money Transfer and other various activies 9. Sales of Dumps, Dead drops and fresh CC We
    also sell high grades techs and hacking chips and gadgets if you are interested in Spying on anyone. We sell software,
    apps for hacking service. Your security is 100% guaranteed and we have testimonies all around the world.We get your job done without any disappointment.
    Interested parties can reach us at internetexpert04@gmail.com

• January 4, 2017 at 7:40 pm

Thanks Ben for recommending HYPERHACKTIVE1@GMAIL.COM to me. His work rate is exceptional and above all very polite. Thank you for the email hack. I know he operates on upgrades of credit
    score,hack or crash a website,database and other petty hacking services. just in case you want to get a job done.. i am recommending him to you just as Ben did to me. GOODLUCK.

• January 14, 2017 at 10:30 am

My name is JIMMY LOOF ,i have been living with my wife for some years now,she has been keeping late nights and also receiving calls late at night,i was afraid she has been cheating on me and a friend of mine introduced me to a private investigator who helped me and gave me the password to her Facebook and Gmail account and also linked all her phone conversations to me.He saved me from all her lies and infidelity,he gave me all i wanted during our divorce and helped me with evidence in court.
    Contact (Gadgethacksolution@gmail.com) .tell him i referred you he will help you

• January 21, 2017 at 3:58 am

Hello everyone, my name is Kate Johnson. I was able to hack my husband’s phone remotely and gained access to all his texts and calls with the help of ghosthacker2351@gmail.com, he is reliable and if you require his services, tell him I referred you.

• January 28, 2017 at 4:12 am

Hello friends U Need Any Help on hacking for the following try reallifehackers@gmail.com  i have used him so many times and he never fails me he is the best hacker i have ever employed . Thank me later.

*Cheating Spouse *University grades changing *Bank accounts hack *Twitters hack *email accounts hack *Grade Changes hack *Website crashed hack *server crashed hack *Retrieval of lost file/documents *Erase criminal records hack *Databases hack *Sales of Dumps cards of all kinds *Untraceable Ip *Individual computers hack *Websites hack *Facebook hack *Control devices remotely hack *Burner Numbers hack *Verified Paypal Accounts hack *Any social media account hack *Android & iPhone Hack *Word Press Blogs hack *Text message interception hack *email interception hack

Contact :reallifehackers@gmail.com
    Contact: +13156755702

• January 29, 2017 at 12:27 pm

My name is Susan Mark, i was able to spy on my cheating ex-Husband phone without him finding out…..it really helped my lawyer during my divorce i have been scammed so many times but cyberhacklove is the best hacker i have met he helped me regain my freedom and lost money by scammers …you can contact cyberhacklove@gmail.com for spying and hacking phones,computer,email,Facebook and other social networks account,his services are cheap …cyberhacklove@gmail.com # +16066579237,please tell him Susan referred you

• February 3, 2017 at 1:09 am

Hi guys, do you suspect your spouse is cheating on you? Or you want to get access to your kids’ or employees phones? Contact finessehackers@gmail.com to help spy on their cell phone or computer remotely, he’s quick and efficient. Don’t forget to say Kimberly referred you, I’m sure he’ll help.

• February 5, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Hi here… i’m here to thank internetexpert04@gmail.com (thats what he calls himself lol) for saving me from the most
    dangerous woman you can ever meet in several lifetimes. I was suspicious she was trying to kill me because of some
    insurance money, i was able to contact him to give me access to her phone so i could get her conversations with the
    men she was hiring. I also got to find out she was also cheating on me with another man. All thanks to
    internetexpert04@gmail.com for saving my life. you can also text him or call him on +12533362268. You can use me as your reference.

• February 5, 2017 at 4:55 pm

Should you ever require the services of a hacker, i implore you to try your very best to hire only professionals. CYBERPHONEHACKER@GMAIL.COM will increase your chances of getting your job completed. i was able to hire the services of an elite, asides the fact that i was provided a permanent solution to the service he rendered me but he gave a very efficient customer experience. he carried me along with every process and didnt leave me in the dark.
    contact; CYBERPHONEHACKER@GMAIL.COM or +1 916 302 2234

• February 7, 2017 at 8:04 pm

i went through some difficult times when i had been let down by everyone around me, i came across Jennifer killer’s post on a blog where she talked about a hacker who helped her out a month ago called (MICHAEL LAWSON), its actually impossible to put in words how much of a Genius he is and also can’t stop thanking him for helping me through my divorce case, and also my Nephews school grades. He is a Black-hat hacker and very capable of almost and everything, he is actually one of the best out there and also very good to understand what so ever you are going through, in my own case the money wasn’t the problem and i can gladly say every money spent was so worth it. I have referred some of my close friends to MICHAEL and all have been immensely satisfied with the Top Notch hacking service MICHAEL LAWSON offers.To whoever is lucky enough to read this its a fresh start for me and i am only doing this for those genuine people out there who would want the services of a hacker please as i said before be careful how you speak to him his a master in his game. He can be contacted on his services email (michael.l@hackermail.com or +1 646-652-6107). do add my name Mrs Medina Parker.

good luck to everyone and make sure you look for me on Facebook to thank me later.

• February 8, 2017 at 2:59 pm

Normally a fake hacker asks for payment before services that he does not still render
    at the end but I want to introduce you to a university graduate in computer science
    as well as computer geek for any sort of account,grade,email problem,etc,you name it.She
    shows proof of work and payment is made only after service well done to your satisfaction
    Contact….Jamiehacking99@gmail.com or text +1 415-237-6483.

• February 17, 2017 at 1:00 am

Hello friends U Need Any Help on hacking for the following try cyberhacklove@gmail.com i have used him so many times and he never fails me he is the best hacker i have ever employed . Thank me later.

contact: cyberhacklove@gmail.com
    contact:+16066579237

• February 18, 2017 at 7:04 pm

My life was falling apart, I was being cheated and abused, I had to know the truth and needed proof. I contacted a private investigator that linked me with gadgethacksolution@gmail.com who took care of the hack job. He hacked her iphone,facebook,instagram, Whatsapp, twitter and email account. I got all I wanted as proof . I’m glad i had a proven truth she was cheating . Contact him for any hack job. Tell him i referred you to him, he will surely meet your hack need. Contact: gadgethacksolution@gmail.com he will be glad to help you

• February 19, 2017 at 1:43 pm

Hello everyone,my name is Kate Johnson.i was able to hack my husband’s phone remotely and gained access to all his texts and calls with the help of ghosthacker2351@gmail.com,I use him whenever I want to be sure about someone.if you require his services tell him I referred you.

• February 21, 2017 at 12:06 am

I have used cyberhackanswers@gmail.com quite a number of times and he has never disappointed me.
    he has once help me get proof on my wife cheating activities on her Phone .
    He does all types of mobile hack;get unrestricted and unnoticeable access to your partner/spouse/anybodies
    facebook account,email,watsapp,textmessages.He also makes changes in any database/website such as your college/university grades..
    Getting the job done is as simple as sending an Email to cyberhackanswers@gmail.com or a text to +14353632534 stating what you want to do. Sure he will help you

• March 6, 2017 at 1:24 am

Hello.Are you in need of a Hacker.I recomend (Worldcyberhackers@gmail.com).
    They render services such as:

-Facebook hack
    -Gmail hack
    -Twitter hack
    -Mobile phone hack
    -Untraceable IP
    -University grades changing
    -Bank account hack
    -Bypassing of Icloud
    -Verified Paypal accounts hack

They are reliable and trustworthy,contact (Worldcyberhackers@gmail.com).

• March 9, 2017 at 12:30 pm

contact: cyberhacklove@gmail.com
    contact:+16066579237

• March 27, 2017 at 12:40 pm

Hello everyone, need hacking services? Be warned, most of these so called hackers here are impostors, I know how real hackers work, they never advertise themselves in such a credulous manner and they are always discrete. I have been ripped off so many times so from experience I know pretty much how they work. Eventually my zeal to solve my issue paid off when a friend of mine introduced me to his hacker friend, his professionalism is top class. He hacks from destroying data and evidence against you, changing school and university grades, hacking into your cheating spouse phone. Getting the job done is as simple as sending an email randyblair@contractor.net or text +1 813 379 2141 Tell him I referred you. He will be more than happy to help you

• April 3, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Should you ever require the services of a hacker, i implore you to try your very best to hire only professionals. CYBERHACKGENIUS@GMAIL.COM will increase your chances of getting your job completed. i was able to hire the services of an elite, asides the fact that i was provided a permanent solution to the service he rendered me but he gave a very efficient customer experience. he carried me along with every process and didnt leave me in the dark. contact; CYBERHACKGENIUS@GMAIL.COM or +1 575 448 0160

• April 3, 2017 at 6:54 pm

Hello Everyone ,I have been living with my wife for some years now,she has been keeping late nights and also receiving calls late at night,i was afraid she has been cheating on me and a friend of mine introduced me to a private investigator Gadgethacksolution@gmail.com who helped me on spying on her.He gave me the password to her Facebook and Gmail account and also linked all her phone conversations to me.He saved me from all her lies and infidelity,he gave me all i wanted during our divorce and helped me with evidence in court. Contact : Gadgethacksolution@gmail.com.

• April 5, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Should you ever require the services of a hacker, i implore you to try your very best to hire only professionals. hackintechnology@gmail.com will increase your chances of getting your job completed. i was able to hire the services of an elite, asides the fact that i was provided a permanent solution to the service he rendered me but he gave a very efficient customer experience. he carried me along with every process and didnt leave me in the dark. contact him via email/phone hackintechnology@gmail.com

• April 7, 2017 at 12:42 am

To hire ethical hackers that’ll solve all your problems like hack emails,Facebook, Twitter ,Instagram , change grades ,erase criminal records, credit and debit top up, insurance paper, access or recover lost files, background checks on individuals and organizations or monitor cheating spouses’ phone or social media activities, contact at CYBERAPPHACK@GMAIL.COM or text +1 848-200-1097..

• April 11, 2017 at 9:43 am

If you know you not ready for a relationship why get into one and still cheat and liar. I was dying inside for my cheating spouse, i had no prove, no one to run to. Everyone thought i was paranoid. until i was referred to (Worldcyberhackers@gmail.com) . He understand me well and helped me spy on my cheating spouse.He hacked my spouse Gmail and Facebook account and linked all my spouse WhatsApp and phone conversation to me, to find out the truth. I just want to openly say thank you. Contact him today, Worldcyberhackers@gmail.com tell him i referred you.

• April 17, 2017 at 6:24 pm

i strongly recommend bestappshackers@gmail.com, last year he helped me spy on my wife when he was cheating of me, he served as a personal investigator to me by helping me spy on my wife’s phone activities like facebook, email, whatsapp, calls, skype and others. am sure someone out there is looking for how to solve his relationship problems, contact him bestappshackers@gmail.com.

• April 26, 2017 at 9:40 pm

Do you suspect your spouse of cheating, are you being overly paranoid or seeing signs of infidelity…Then he sure is cheating: I was in that exact same position when I was referred to HACKSERVICES41@GMAIL.COM through my best friend carmella who helped me hack into my boyfriend’s phone, it was like a miracle when he helped me clone my boyfriend’s phone and I got first-hand information from his phone. Now I get all his incoming and outgoing text messages, emails, call logs, web browsing history, photos and videos, instant messengers(facebook,whatsapp,bbm,IG etc) , GPS locations, phone tap to get live transmissions on all phone conversations..if you need help contact him on HACKSERVICES41 at GMAIL dot COM

• April 27, 2017 at 12:40 am

Hi everyone,
    If you have concerns over your partner’s fidelity, improving your credit score, grade change or doubt your employee’s sincerity I am certain deephacking17 can help you get direct access into their phones and computers easily without their knowledge and within a specified time frame.
    This team of certified grayhat hackers helped me when I desperately needed to get evidence of my cheating husband’s extra-marital affairs. I was tired of being lied to and wanted a divorce, all thanks to them for their reliable services else I would never have been able to confront him with proof of his escapades

If you need help don’t hesitate to reach them through their email (deephacking17-at-gmail-com)

• April 27, 2017 at 4:11 pm

Cyberhackinglord is the real hacker out there, please be careful of imposters. they are somany hackers who claim to be what they are not. i have been ripped off twice by this so called hackers. please be careful. if you need an hacker mail (cyberhackinglord@gmail.com), they work effectively, i can testify to that. mail them today and you will get your work done or text +13047160075.