Second Open-Search Workshop
For your info:
What: Second Open-Search Workshop
When: Saturday April 28, 2007, 13.00h CET, 11.00h GMT, 06.00h EST, 4.00h EET, 01.00h HST, 04.00h MSTDuration: official program will be 4 hours
Where (physical): CREA, room 204, Turfdraagsterpad 17, 1012 XT Amsterdam (route: http://www.crea.uva.nl/contact/zoomplattegrond.html)
Where (virtual): http://www.open-search.net/Opensearch/SecondWorkshop
Cost: free attendance, free drinks
More info: http://www.open-search.net/Opensearch/SecondWorkshop
If you can hold a keyboard, you should be at this workshop!
The open-search project proposes to build a distributed, peer-to-peer, search-engine. By combining the already existing technologies ofpeer-to-peer file storage, distributed crawling and peer-to-peer searching, we hope to solve the problems inherent to a centralized search-engine: manipulation, censorship and profiling.
After a period of contemplation and reflection, the open-search project is ready for some serious hacking and discussion. If you have any programming skills, analytic skills, interface design skills or other skills that you can use to contribute to the open search project, we have todo list items with your name on them! Those concerned with the legal and policy details of the project are also welcome for the non-technical track, to discuss policies, legal issues, issues of deployment and ideology versus users.
Virtual attendance will be possible through on-site A/V streaming and internet relay chat (IRC, a web interface will be provided for thoseunfamiliar with IRC clients). The details will be posted on http://www.open-search.net/Opensearch/SecondWorkshop shortly. If you can not be present physically, you don’t have to miss this workshop. The chat will be projected on a large screen during the workshop.
The preliminary program for this workshop is:
- an overview of our current progress and the current state of the client (by Robin, our main developer)
- hands-on: there will be an install party to get the thing running on everybodies computer (bring your laptop)
- hands-on: after installation the workshop will continue in two tracks:
- technical: discuss, plan and code
- theoretical: discussion about and planning of activities related to p2p research, law (with guidance of Joris van Hoboken, http://www.ivir.nl/staff/vanhoboken.html), motivation (elaboration on http://www.open-search.net/Opensearch/WhyOpenSearch), community activation
I’m definitely going to try to attend because last meeting was quite interesting and I hope I might be able to contribute interfacewise.